From 10 to 21 November, Ventspils will celebrate Patriot Week in honour of the national holidays – Lāčplēša Day and the 105th anniversary of the proclamation of the Republic of Latvia. The programme includes concerts, urban activities, creative workshops and a wide range of exhibitions. The Ventspils Tourism Information Centre invites you to get acquainted with the wide range of events and take a stroll around the city decorated in Latvian symbols.
Friday, 10 November
- At 19.00 – 20.00 80th anniversary concert of Imants Ramiņš. / Concert Hall “Latvija”. MORE.
Saturday, 11 November – LĀČPLĒŠA DAY
- At 11.00 on the occasion of the Lāčplēša Day we invite you to take part in a seaside and forest hike. The route is 11 kilometres long. After the walk, participants will be treated to a delicious soup. Participation is free of charge. / Beach volleyball stadium
- At 13.00 concert “Thousands of Stars in the Sky”. The mixed choir “Līvzeme” and the Ventspils Men Choir will perform. Free admission. / Pārventa Library
- At 16.00 everyone is invited to participate in the commemorative moment and lay flowers at the memorial statue of the Lāčplēsis War Order Cavaliers. / Ventspils Esplanade (square in front of Ventspils City Hall)
- At 16.30 torchlight procession from Ventspils Esplanade to the Forest Cemetery and a commemorative moment at the White Cross. People are invited to come with torches, to increase the feeling of togetherness and to symbolically pay tribute to the country’s freedom fighters. Torchlight procession route: Ventspils Esplanade – Jūras Street – Saules Street – Aizsaules Street – Forest Cemetery
- At 17.00 commemorative moment with the participants of the procession and the mixed choir “Kaiva”. / At the White Cross in the Forest Cemetery
- At 17.30 additional screening of the film “My Freedom”.
About the film: Time of change in Latvia. The free-thinking and charismatic Alīcija becomes actively involved in the Popular Front and becomes a star of the Awakening. However, her achievements also bring with them complications and harsh choices in her private life/ Ventspils Cinema Rio
- At 18.30 the folklore group “Laipa” traditionally invites everyone to a joint fire sign making, creating a “Sign of Life” from candles brought with them. / Reņķa Garden. MORE.
Thursday, 16 November
- At 15.00 UNESCO LNC “Story telling library.” Story time in the library. “Stories of my family.” Participants: storytellers from Gāliņciems Library and researchers of families from Ventspils area. Conversations over coffee. Event free of charge. / Gāliņciems Library – multifunctional service centre
- At 15.00 “Read and create!” literary-themed workshop. A gift to Latvia. Let’s create a gift for Latvia’s birthday. / Pārventa Library
- at 16.00 Ventspils Sports School “Spars” run “Run Latvia”. / Reņķa Garden
- At 17.00 Ventspils Museum collections and private collections at the exhibition Ventspils Woman’s Wardrobe in the 1950s-1980s. Opening of the exhibition. / Livonian Order Castle. MORE..
- At 18.00 A grand concert of school choirs “My Fatherland in the Warmth of Two Hands”. Entrance by invitation. The concert will be available to watch online at ventspils.lv. / Concert Hall “Latvija”
Friday, 17 November
- At 19.00 20th anniversary concert of the drum and bagpipe music group “Auļi” “The Power of Nine Men”. During the anniversary tour, Auļi invites the audience to open a memory album and together gallop through the most exciting stories and events of 20 years. Videos will be shown on the screen during all songs, galleries and stories between songs, and of course special guests. / Theatre House “Jūras vārti”. MORE. MORE.
Saturday, 18 November – 105th ANNIVERSARY OF THE PROCLAMATION OF THE REPUBLIC OF LATVIA
- At 11.00 Run and cycle ride “Run or Cycle the Outline of Latvia in Ventspils” in honour of Latvia’s anniversary. Participation is free of charge. / Reņķa Garden
- At 16.00 18 November Celebration Concert
Participants: Ventspils Mixed Choirs “Ventspils” and “Līvzeme”, Ventspils Chamber Orchestra, Ventspils Big Band, Vocal Quartet “Neaizmirstulītes”, soloists – Gunta Gelgote, Zane Volberga, Aigars Reinis. Artistic director Aigars Meri. The first part of the concert programme will feature Indra Riše’s song cycle with poetry by Vizma Belševica, Knuts Skujenieks and Andrejs Eglītis – “To My Native Land”, as well as Rihards Dubras’ composition “Te Deum”, while the second part of the concert will feature popular songs and compositions by Latvian composers performed by the Ventspils Big Band and vocal quartet “Neaizmirstulītes”. Handing out of tickets is now closed! / Concert Hall “Latvija”
- At 17.30 Ventspils State Gymnasium No.1 “Path of Light” / Ventspils State Gymnasium No.1
- At 19.00 ”Jumprava” concert. / Lielais Square. MORE.
- At 20.20 J. Vītoliņš’ festive address. / Lielais Square
- At 20.30 Festive fireworks. / Lielais Square
- At 21.00 National Celebration Ball. Music by the band “Sestā jūdze”. “Līvzeme” choir performs. Sold out. / Culture Centre. MORE.
Sunday, 19 November
- At 11.00 – 12.00 event for families with children “My family, my Latvia”. Participants: folklore studios “Vācelīte” and orienteering club “Ziemeļkurzeme”. Folk games, plays and orienteering competitions. / Children’s Town
- At 14.00 – 19.00 Seniors’ Ball. Music by Artis Šimpermanis. / Culture Centre
- At 15.00 – 16.00 event for families with children “My family, my Latvia”. Participants: folklore studios “Vācelīte” and orienteering club “Ziemeļkurzeme”. Folk games, plays and orienteering competitions. / Children’s Park “Fantāzija”.
- At 15.00 – 17.00 Erudite competition for teams “VIZzinis par Latviju”. For more information and to register visit: www.adre.se/vizzinislatvija
Tuesday, 21 November
- at 16.00 – 17.00 At 16.00 – 17.00 Finger works. “Home, Family and Me”. Let’s make a collage with pictures. Materials: pictures, coloured paper, glue, etc. Children’s Library
*15.09. – 22.11. “Astoņas sarkanas stikla zīles” Ventspils muzeja krājuma izstāde. Tajā apskatāmas dažādas saktas, tostarp, derību saktas, kā arī brunči. / Livonijas ordeņa pils
*01.11 – 09.12 Exhibition “100 Years of the Saeima’s Rules of Procedure”. / Main Library
*01.11. – 18.11. *01.11 – 18.11 Creative activity “Wherever you go, take Latvia with you!”. Do you know why Latvians pin the Latvian flag to their clothes in November? Patriotic badges workshop with drawings by Agnese Rudzīte. / House of Crafts
*11.11 – 19.11 In the foyer of VIZIUM every visitor of the Science Centre will have the opportunity to take part in a free creative activity on the occasion of the birthday of the State of Latvia “Ex-perience Latvia!”, where we will create our Latvia by creating various 3D objects – buildings, trees, people, light elements./ Science Centre “Vizium”
*11.11. – 26.11. Ekspresizstāde “Viena karoga stāsts”. Karogu muzejam 2023.gada 12.oktobrī nodeva Ingrīda Priekule Andersone, Popes pamatskolas skolotāja. Viņas vecmāmiņa karogu visus padomju gadus bija glabājusi bišu stropā. / Livonijas ordeņa pils
Our blood this land,
Our country and free glory.
There are no people
Like us elsewhere in the world.
We wish you happy and warm national holidays!