“Miķeļbāka” lighthouse that is 59 metres high was built in 1884 and it is the highest lighthouse in the Baltic region.
It has an observation platform at the height of 56 metres. Earlier walls of the lighthouse were about one meter thick, however, the tower was too heavy for the sand dune and over the course of time it has slanted.
The lighthouse in the ancient Liv settlement, which was earlier referred to as Piza, however the lighthouse was not called the Piza Tower, but “Miķeļbāka”, as its task was to warn sailors about the shallow place with the same name. Later, the name was Latvianised into “Miķeļbāka”, and also “Miķeļtornis”.