The lighthouse of Užava has been included in the list of the national protected cultural monuments and is located about 20 km south from Ventspils. It stands on one of the three high wooded dunes – the so-called Teniroka dune (28 m high). From afar, this dune reminds people of a baking over, therefore, in the 19th century the German name of Užava lighthouse was Bakofen.
Užava was mentioned in historical sources for the first time already in 1230. It is believed that already in the 17th-18th century a navigation fire in the form of a bonfire was placed on a pile of stones in order to serve as a guidance sign for ships on their way to Ventspils.
The construction of the first Užava lighthouse was ended in 1879 when also a pier for supplying construction materials was built. The Užava lighthouse was a tower of bricks that was connected with a single story dwelling house for the staff working in the lighthouse. A light room of metal with a lantern in it was placed on the top of the tower. On September 10, 1879 light signals were first sent from the Užava lighthouse with the help of an optical system. 1910. In 1910, a piling with 7-8cm thick planks and stones in front of the wall was created, since due to the flat seashore the waves destroyed the base dunes. During World War I, the Užava lighthouse was seriously damaged – the cylindrical part of it and the outbuildings were destroyed. Only the octagonal base of the tower (on which the construction of the new lighthouse was finished on February 21, 1925) remained intact. The external shape of the new tower is identical to the previous lighthouse.
During the entire existence of the lighthouse, the work of strengthening the adjacent shore slope has continued. In the 1920’s and 1930’s wicker baskets filled with pebbles, and boulders were used for fixation. In 1970’s these were replaced by concrete blocks. .
The lighthouse has four floors; it is plastered, whitewashed and connected to the dwelling house. In the 1950’s the height of the tower was 19.4m. Inside the tower – around the central column – a metal spiral staircase is placed. On the top of the tower a balcony with metal railings and a metal-structured light room is placed (its diameter – 3m – is equal to the diameter of the lighthouse).
Built in 1879, built 28 m above sea level
Tower height – 19 m
Altitude – 44 m
Flashing light seen – 15 miles
|Visit to the lighthouse||EUR 1,00|
|Visit to the lighthouse for a pupil, student, pensioner, person with a disability (on presentation of a certificate)||EUR 0,50|
|A visit to the lighthouse for a child up to school age||Free of charge|
|A place for a tent in the territory of the lighthouse||EUR 5,00 during the day|
|Overnight in a tent for one person||EUR 1,00|
|Car parking in the lighthouse area (up to 2 hours free of charge)||EUR 3,00 during the day|
*By prior arrangement, it is possible to receive visitors outside of working hours (except Mondays)