earth

Our website uses the third-party cookies to improve your experience here, and the cookies ensuring the operation of the website visitventspils.com. By continuing the use of our website, you agree to the use of cookies. If you do not wish to allow the use of any cookies, you may choose the option “Never accept cookies” in the security settings of the web browser. If the cookies are disabled, the operation of the site will be compromised. More information about the cookies may be found here.

Ventspils

Profile
Authorize

Things to Do

Address: Lielā iela 2a,Piltene, Ventspils novads

Telephone: To reserve an excursion call + 371 26566315

Working hours: Tue, Wed, Thurs. 17.00 – 19.00 

GPS: 57.2227509,21.6699942

 

Piltene castle ruins and open-air stage

An ancient city in the northern part of Kurzeme, at the old bed of the Venta River, 22 km from Ventspils. Famous for the fact that from the 13th century until the end of the 16th century, Piltene was the centre of the diocese of Kurzeme, but in later centuries – centre of the Piltene County.

The ruins of the Piltene Castle are still preserved, next to which there is an open-air stage and a gazebo for a picnic. The Piltene Castle was built at the turn of the 13th and 14th centuries as a convent castle and used until the 16th century. The ruins of the castle can be found near the Vecventa (the former Venta bed). In 14th-16th centuries Piltene was the administrative centre of the diocese of Kurzeme. The foundations of the castle and fragments of two towers - the Great Round Tower and the Shame Tower - have been preserved to this day. The ruins of the castle offer scenic views of Vecventa. The object is a national cultural monument. There are signs, as well as an information stand. The grass around the site is mowed. The site is located in the immediate vicinity of the open-air stage and the Lutheran Church.

Not far from the site of the castle is the Piltene Lutheran Church, in the building and rebuilding of which in 1856 presumably building materials from the castle were used. The objects of the church paraphernalia apparently preserved from the previous Piltene church and made at different times - for example, the baroque pulpit refers to the beginning of the 18th century, but the Rococo altar - to the third quarter of the 18th century. Each of these elements has an unquestionable artistic value. The woodcuts of the church organ prospectus (1720s), according to experts, could have been created by the well-known wood sculptor Joachim Kreutzfeld.

Evidence of Piltene's history has been preserved in the Piltene Museum. The museum has two rooms dedicated to the museum exposition and the third one is envisaged for exhibitions.

Lielā Street a typical 19th century building period.

Cemetery near the church the grave of teacher Andreas Neimanis. His nephew Jānis Neimanis (1852 - 1904) was the first native of Piltene to obtain a higher education at the University of Tartu, later one of the founders of the veterinary service in Bulgaria.

Piltene Secondary School since 1964 the school has had a Local History Museum (in the boarding house premises) - materials about the prehistory, history of the city, school and collective farm "Piltene".

Vecventa – the old river bed, according to legend, once before 1709, Venta flowed along the castle, the inhabitants of which demanded large custom duty from passing merchants, therefore a canal was excavated from the Piku crossing to Landze. The water quickly eroded this straight road, but the bend of the Venta remained an old river bed. This story is related to the floods of 1709.

Piltene Baptist Church (1881) (18 Lielā Street)

The boundary stone between the bishop’s and the city’s territories.

Jewish cemetery with ancient monuments (the oldest Jewish cemetery in Latvia) – possibly in Priekšpiltene.

Brethren Cemetery – where those slain in World War II are buried. (66 Lielā Street)

Piltene fire station (1956). Piltene Firefighters Association was founded in 1866 – it is the third oldest in Latvia (6 Skolas Street).

Piltene Cemetery - where Dean Kārlis Eglītis is buried (1907- 1970).

The Hill of Seven Lords – according to legend, an ancient duelling site.

Monument to the inhabitants of the district who were slain in World War II (1977). Sculptor Kārlis Dane.

House at 2 Saules Street. Landscape garden created by L.Grieze with 42 foreign species.

In Priekšpiltene - historically a place for non-German craftsmen who did not have the right to work in the city.

Pikas - the former Pīki crossing place. View of the junction between Venta and Vecventa in the outskirts of the former Suķava manor.

There are many significant places in the outskirts of Piltene, including on the border with Ugāle Parish, near the Dzelzkalni houses, where a monument dedicated to Latvian national partisans and the Dzelzkalni Collective Cemetery, where members of the resistance movement are buried, are located.

 

 

All tourist objects of Piltene parish here:

http://www.ventspilsnovads.lv/ct-menu-item-51/ct-menu-item-80

 

Opening hours

Working remotely 

You can reach us by email or phone

08:00-18:00 (1,2,3,4,5)

10:00-16:00 (6,7)

10:00- 15:00 

(National holidays)

 

Contacts

VENTSPILS TOUR.INF. CENTRE

Address: 6 Darzu Street, Ventspils, LV 3601
Telephone
: +371 63622263, +371 29232226
Email: tourism@ventspils.lv

Follow us
About Ventspils