earth
12° Cair

Ventspils

Profile
Authorize

Things to Do

Old Town

The Livonian Order Castle (of 13th century) is the only medieval building in the Ventspils City preserved till nowadays. However, the ancient network of streets and dimensional structure of squares are still here.

Ventspils developed rapidly as a commercial harbour in the years of growth of Kurzeme Dukedom, therefore the most active building works took place in vicinity of the present Market Square where a number of former storehouses of 17th century are preserved, and a dwelling house at the crossing of Tirgus and Skolas Streets is one of the most ancient houses of such type in Latvia (built in 1646).

Next to the Market Square, in historical school building on Skolas street, there is located Ventspils House of the Crafts (2007). International Writers’ and Translators’ House (2006) was opened in premises of the former City Hall (1850), on the City-Hall Square. The building is reconstructed to accommodate creative work and everyday needs of its writers. The recently renovated Ventspils Central Library (2006) and Evangelic-Lutheran Church of Nikolay (1835) are located next to it. The City-Hall Square, the Market Square and the Ostas Street Promenade are popular walk places.

 

Opening hours

08:00-18:00 (1,2,3,4,5);

10:00-16:00 (6)

10:00-16:00 (7)

Contacts

VENTSPILS TOUR.INF. CENTRE

Address: 6 Darzu Street, Ventspils, LV 3601
Telephone
: +371 63622263, +371 63607664; +371 29232226;
Fax:
+371 63607665;
Email: tourism@ventspils.lv